Monday, April 30, 2018

The Gospel Has the Power to Heal

We got transfer calls and....I'M STAYING IN YSA! So happy about that! Looking forward to transfer number 3 in the best area of the mission!

We had a Chinese New Member Fireside and it was a lot of work but a lot of fun! We spent the whole week preparing for it doing street displays and inviting everyone! Also, our mission as a whole had 19 people baptised this week. I know it's not all about numbers but this never happens in the EMM!

OK, When I got called to England a year ago, I had no idea I would be teaching Chinese people. I have come to love the Chinese so much. They were raised in an atheist country and when they feel the Spirit, they want it so badly. In light of her baptism on Thursday, I want to share Chuyun's story with y'all.

Chuyun was born and raised in China. She is an only child and has played piano since she was 6 years old. She is extremely gifted, very smart and so sensitive to the spirit. She is studying at the Royal College of music.  She met missionaries (specifically-my trainer Sister Menlove) a year ago and wasn't interested. In February, she called us and told me on the phone that she was scared and looking for a place of refuge. She had been struggling with some mental health issues and started coming and just talking to us because it was the only place she felt safe. She was having hallucinations and hearing voices and was so afraid. It broke my heart how she was struggling so much. She finally got diagnosed with psychosis and was given medicine which helped her so much but it made her hands shake and she couldn’t move them properly. She couldn't play piano for school and was going to have to go home back to China. I asked if she wanted a blessing and Elder Quinn gave her one. I watched her whole body relax and almost transform during that blessing. Two days later, she told us she wanted to be baptised. Her hands are now functioning and she has stabilized on her medicine. She was baptised and confirmed on Thursday April 26. She performed a musical number on the piano. I was humbled she asked me to speak at her baptism about the Holy Ghost. On Sunday, she spoke and did another musical number in the Chinese New Member Fireside in front of loads of people.

It's been an absolute privilege watching the Gospel of Jesus Christ change this incredible young woman. She is no longer paranoid or afraid. Her anxiety is gone. Her happiness has increased and her outlook on life is so much better. That's what having the knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father and a Saviour does for someone.

Oh sweet the joy this sentences gives, "I know that my Redeemer lives!"
I love my Heavenly Father and my Saviour. I love England. I love this gospel. I love this work.
"For me, [the gospel] is all about love." - Elder Massimo DeFeo

.. & I love yall lots! Have a good week!

Sister Gilland
England Manchester Mission

Pictures:
1-Quote of the day, "I'm so white, the camera can't even focus on me" - Hannah Tarr #same
2-Sister Westover on Skype for Chuyun's Baptism
3-Chuyun's baptism
4- Rip Manchester Zone (like half of us got transferred)
5- In England there's kebab shops everywhere. Kebabs are kinda like sandwiches so we got them as a district. I've been Kebaptised.


No comments:

Post a Comment