Monday, October 16, 2017

What Happens in Birkenvegas....


Hiyaaa! Y'all miss me yet?! I can't believe it but I hit my 1 month mark on Friday the 13th! My companion just hit her 17 month mark haha I'll get there one day....

This week went a lot faster and smoother. I absolutely LOVE my ward. It really feels like family already. Something super funny about my ward is the Bishop, the Relief Society President, and the Young Women's President area all siblings.  Also the ward mission leader, is their cousin. #FamilyGoalsss. After several Tea Appointments this week, and getting to know so many families, I already feel like I've been in this ward for forever. This ward hasn't had Sister Missionaries in like decades!  I REALLY hope they keep me in this area for Christmas.  

We had our first district meeting and it's so crazy, we had to take 3 trains and two busses to get to it. Our meeting is only 2 hours long but we didn't even get home til 3 haha. Lots of Train and Bus contacting (one of my weaknesses) . An elder in my area, just told me to just stop caring about getting embarrassed when talking to people on the public transport because odds are, I'll never see them again...unless it's for a return appointment ;)! 



Wednesday and Thursday were some of the hardest days I've had so far. We just walked and walked and didn't accomplish any of our goals.  We didn't hand out any books of mormon and didn't even get a new contact. We decided to visit 2 old ladies in our ward and we found out that it totally made their day and lifted there spirits so at least we did something right!

Lol funny story! On friday we were out tracting around 8 at night and there was a house that we walked by and decided not to ring because the man in the window looked passed out drunk and he had a scary dog. So we went to the next door and then my companion and I felt guilty (robbing a child of God of learning about their salvation) so we went back and as soon as we knocked we heard a huge bang on the door and it was the giant dog body slamming into the door or something and both of us took off running๐Ÿ˜‚ the 'Beware of Dog' and 'No Cold Calling' signs should've tipped us off. Lol probably the most scared I've been so far- well at least until about 20 min later (continue to next paragraph).

So later that night, we were walking home and I saw a little ball of fur (looked like a rat) run over towards our rubbish bins and I screamed and jumped (naturally) and literally considered coming back to America for a second. We then came to find out it was a HEDGEHOG?! So that was definetly random but made for a pretty funny friday the 13th. I'll send pics. 


MISSIONARY MIRACLE:
Ok so on Saturday me and my companion and Elder Risk and Elder Santa Maria did a street display.  We set up a banner at a mall and talked to several people walking by.  I didn't have much success but one man, Roger, came up and talked to me.  After testifying of the book of mormon and giving him a copy, he seemed kinda interested so I gave him a flyer with our church's address and told him to come to church the following day. I honestly didn't have high hopes but heavenly father had other plans! He DID come to church and he wants to learn more! Yay! 


After church we had the privilege to hear from Elder Ballard in a broadcast shown only to Europe (sorry USA). He talked all about miracles and also member missionary work. Fun fact: weve had 3 baptisms in my ward since june and ALL of them have been from member referrals. 

Well that was my week folks! I want to leave you with a little thought. I want to echo what Russel M Nelson asked us at the recent General Conference.  
1 What would your life be like without the book of mormon?
2 What would you not know?
3 What would you not have?
For me personally, my parents met at byu in Book of Mormon class (#goals) so I know I probably wouldn't be alive! But on top of that, I wouldn't know the extent of how much my savior loves me. I wouldn't know the importance of following his commandments and enduring to the end. I wouldn't believe Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. I wouldn't be able to comprehend God's infinite love for me. I certainly wouldn't be in England sharing the gospel for 18 months!  Who knows where I'd be. Where would you be?

English Vocab of the Week
Eggplant- aubergine 
Sidewalk- foot path
Sick- poorly (like "I'm feeling rather poorly today")

 Well I love and miss you all! Thanks for the continuous prayers! I definitely feel them! God loves you!
Tara' loves


Sister Gilland ๐Ÿ’•

No comments:

Post a Comment