Monday, October 9, 2017

HIYA FROM BIRKENHEAD

Hiya! (Lol that's how everyone says hello here) friends and family! I miss y'all! I hope you're all doing amazing! I arrived safely to England and it's as beautiful as I imagined. I have been assigned to the Birkenhead area and I live in a small town called Prenton! 

My Companion 
My companion is Sister Menlove! She's from Payson Utah! We have a few mutual friends and she actually trained Sister Stapel from Springville! And she has a 24 year old sister named Hillary And she plays tennis! #sameee What are the odds?! She's probably the best missionary in the world, and it's her LAST transfer. I'm gonna be so sad when she leaves.  We've already become super close. She makes all my food too. She's like a mom haha I just love her. 

My Area 
Birkenhead, is also known as 'BirkenVegas', 'the Whirral', and according to the members, 'Zion'😂
For those familiar with England, I'm located south of Liverpool across the River Mersey.  Something a bit scary though, is my companion and I are BOTH new to this area (normally I'd be put with someone who's been here a transfer or so but NOPE)  AND it's brand new so we are literally building it from the ground up. Our area book is empty. AND the area is literally HUGE.  The population is about half a million people. We have 2 elders here as well in this area, Elder Risk and Elder Santa Maria.  We started with zero potential investigators.  We've had little success but have seen many small miracles that boost our confidence a bit. This week I've handed out several pass along cards and placed 3 books of mormon.  9 times out of 10 the people reject us. Some are super rude, some are just not into it. It's definitely tricky here but I'm confident that we will have success. 
The accent here does NOT sound like Harry Potter at all. It's an accent called Scouse and it's hardly english.  Most people greet you with "Hiya ya alright?" Which means "how are you ?" It sounds so weird but I'm just goin with it!  People also give you nick names like "love". Hahah I love it!

My Ward
The one ward here is so amazing, they're so humble and the kindest people you'll ever meet. They've been so excited for sister missionaries to come because apparently it's been years.  One funny surprise was they had me and sister Menlove bare our testimonies in church lol YAY.  The ward is amazing though, we've already had two tea appointments and lots scheduled this week.  Oh ya "Tea" here means dinner! So im getting fed LOTS. Also English food is amazing! A lil bland but ya just gotta dump some salt and pepper on it!

My President
President McReynolds is AMAZING. It's funny though because he has been here since July and apparently the previous one President Ulrich had lots of rules. And McReynolds is sgill strict but not as strict. The missionaries joke about Ulrich being like Moses and it was like living the law of Moses and now we are living the higher law so I guess that makes McReynolds Jesus???  Hahah lucky me! We had a good first interview. His brother served in Manchester the same time my dad did so we had that connection.
Funny Rules
So this is super funny for me, but apparently this mission is really big on refraining from saying the words "cool" "awesome" and "you guys". They think it sounds too casual. It's been super hard to adjust but I'm getting better. 

Trip to LIVERPOOL
I went on splits with Sister Libron this cute sister from the Philippines so that Sister Menlove could travel to her previous area, Oldham to watch someone she taught get baptized! While they were there, Sister Libron and I got to hang out in Liverpool. Dad- Pretty sure it's changed a ton since you left haha. It looks like time square haha.

Not gonna lie. This week has been quite the struggle. The people here are not the nicest. I've probably had dozens of doors slammed in my face, but like I said, we've had some small miracles that give me hope that I can touch the lives of the children God has prepared for me to teach. Cute Sister Melove showed me a scripture in Alma 20:30
"And, as it happened, it was their lot to have fallen into the hands of a more hardened and a more stiffnecked people..."  #relateable
I know it was my lot to have been called to England. I know that this is going to be hard and that I'll have so much rejection but know it's exactly where I'm supposed to be. I love England and I love Birkenhead.  The people here are so amazing. I can't wait to build this place from the ground up. I'm humbled President McReynolds trusts Sister Menlove and I with such a daunting task. I'm hopeful that we will see miracles!

Here's your British Vocab for the week (who said I'm not learning a language) ;)

Pram- Stroller
Hoover-  Vacuum 
Courgette- Zucinni (lol what)

P.S. My British accent is coming along nicely. Jk haha

Love you all! Tara' til next week (Tara' means byeeee)


Sister Gilland ðŸ’•

Pics:
1) President McReynolds and is wife 

2) View from my cute flat 

3) My first Fish n chips!

4) The door to my flat- the place was built in 1850!

5) My Companion Sister Menlove!

No comments:

Post a Comment