Monday, October 1, 2018

How to Offend an Elderly Brit

This week was super busy and jam packed. So many things happened both good and bad! Transfer calls are next monday so hopefully I stay because I really don't want to pack :')

We had exchanges in Liverpool and I got to work with my old companion Sister Westover. We taught two lessons together and it was just like old times in Manchester YSA. It was also a blast being in Liverpool it's such a unique city! We also had interviews with President and it was as usual super good. President is the best because hes the definition of British humor (super dry lol) and I laugh so hard at him but he's so serious ah that man kills me.

Well something kinda lame happened. An old lady that we are teaching dropped us and it was definitely my fault. She's 74, her name is Gwen and on Saturday we went and taught her the Restoration. Bare in mind that she's been dropped by the missionaries 3 times because she wasn't progressing. So we started with the lesson and her TV was on and so loud and it's already hard enough to understand her scouse accent with her quiet voice and lack of teeth (lol England) so I asked if we could turn the TV off and got up to mute it and sat back down not really thinking anything of it. The lesson went pretty good,  we ended on such a spiritual note and felt good about it. Later that evening she called us and yelled at us on the phone "You don't come over here and turn off my tele, that's so rude, ignorant American, etc". Ya so after that I was actually proper upset about it and felt awful but to be honest she definitely might be crazy and there's a reason she's been dropped by missionaries in the past. Also, there's a very good chance she thought we were Jehovas Witnesses (typical lol).

On to a happier note, we had a miracle in maccys (what they call McDonald's). We planned on teaching our friend Steven on a bench in the town hall (like we normally do) but it started raining (shocker) so our backup plan was to teach him in maccys. So we were teaching him and Sister Escalon was doing most of the talking testifying so boldly and pouring out her heart like she always does and I was staring at one of the McDonald's workers cleaning the tables. She was standing by the bin and I walked up to her to toss some rubbish and saw amongst several tattoos, a tattoo of the state of Texas. I pointed to it and asked her about it and found out her name Is Libby and that she's never been to Texas but she's always wanted to! I told her that's where I was from and we talked a bit about why I'm here in St Helen's! She was so nice but we literally only talked for 30 seconds. As we continued our lesson, I got out a Pamphlet and wrote a little note and our number hoping she'd pick it up. Well about an hour later, we got a text from her and we scheduled to see her again! We've been texting her all weekend! I'll keep yall posted on Libby!

I'm grateful for all the ups and downs on my mission because without them, it'd make for a boring ride. I read a scripture in Jacob 3:1 "But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction."
When you liken that scripture to yourself, it's such a wonderful promise that if we pray daily and exercise faith in him, the Lord has got our backs! He will be there for us in any moment because he never leaves us!

Whoohoo my last General Conference on my mission is THIS WEEK! I invite you all to prepare a question and earnestly seek it by listening to not only what the speakers tell you, but what the SPIRIT tells you! The heavens are open my friends!

Love and pray for you all!

Sister Gilland
England Manchester Mission 🇬🇧

SORRY no pics this week, I'm the worst!

No comments:

Post a Comment