Monday, October 8, 2018

Would You Rather Be Shot Or Jabbed???

Another busy week here in St Helen's! Time just seems to go faster and faster. We've ended another transfer and as for news.... I'M STAYING and saying adios to Sister Escalon! My new companion is Sister McKinnon from Park City, Utah! I've wanted to serve with her my WHOLE MISSION. We found each other on Instagram before we came out, she's one transfer ahead of me!
Well anyways, lengthy email ahead!! Lots happened this week, including one of the hardest days of my mission so get ready! :')

This week we had to get flu shots but the british call them "flu jabs" . If yall know anything about me, you probably know I'm terrified of shots. So I told the pharmacist "The word 'jab' just sounds so violent" and he was like "Well would you rather be shot or jabbed? " I thought that was a pretty good point. And then he jabbed me. Kinda fainted afterwards... I'll include pics.

Something heartbreaking happened on Tuesday. After district council in Wigan, we decided to do a street display. We set everything up. I had a grocery bag with some bananas, a water bottle, as well as my notebook and very worn copy of the Book of Mormon that have had my whole mission. I glanced several times to check on my bag but when I looked, it was gone. I immediately started scrambling looking in every direction but it was nowhere to be found. These items were so special to me and in an instant they were gone. I called the city council to see if I could check the cameras and to do so, I had to file a police report (lol you learn how to do loads on a mission!) but sadly, we never found my bag. It's times like these when I just look up at the sky and ask God "WHY ME?". It caused me to think of all the other trials I've had on my mission. All the "why me" moments. Why can't things just be easier? But it's these defining moments that I truly learn and grow the most. Just because these precious sentimental items are now gone, it doesn't mean my testimony is. Im not sure what good thing will come out of this, but perhaps the person who took it needed it more than me. 😓

Also a memeber in our ward invited us to a "Faith Day" at a local high school. Basically us and a lot of other different religions set up displays and stand there and talk to the students about our faiths. There was us, some Jehovas Wittnesses, Muslims, and other Christianity sects. It was a really good turn out and we talked to loads of people. Afterwards there was a Question Panel and the memeber that brought us so kindly volunteered me to sit on the panel and answer questions in front of 100+ 16-18 year olds. We got asked so many crazy questions and I was shaking the whole time but it was super fun and I found a lot of common ground with the other religions sat beside me.
But ya my fabulous companion snapped a pic of me in action so ill include that lol.

Yall remember Libby from Mcdonald's last week?? Well we met her and she's amazing and me and her get along so well. We gave her a Book of Mormon and explained a bit about it and she said it all makes sense and she'd give it a read. We are seeing her this week too!

Saturday and Sunday of course was GENERAL CONFERENCE! And my LAST one as a missionary! I can't believe it. But wow it was much needed for me personally and I'm sure many of you as well. It's hard to talk about just one but I particularly loved Elder Rasbands talk on fear. He said something along the lines of "When we stand with the Lord, we are standing in Holy Places. When we stand in Holy Places, we feel Christ's love and Christ's love is perfect and perfect love casteth out all fear." I just love that promise. We need not fear!
I invite you all to go back and read those notes that I know you all diligently took this past conference and set goals for yourself to better align yourself on the covenant path. This Conference just reaffirmed to me that the Lord truly is hastening His work. How grateful I am to have a prophet to lead us back to our loving Heavenly Father.

Until next week,
Love you all!

Sister Gilland
England Manchester Mission 🇬🇧

Pictures are from pday in Liverpool last week, Flu Jabs, Faith Day & Question Panel







No comments:

Post a Comment