Monday, September 24, 2018

17 Miracles + A Baptism

Well this week was one I will always remember. Josh was baptised! So for my email, I just thought I'd share Josh's story with yall + the unbelievable miracles we experienced in order to get to this baptism. What a week!

Josh's Story
Joshua Collins found a copy of the book of Mormon whilst working part time at a bookshop. He took it home and read bits but didn't think much of it. He knew some about the church because his Dad is a less active member and his grandmother is very active. Josh studied philosophy and had come up with the conclusion that there was no God but religion always interested him. He was approached by two sister missionaries and agreed to meet with them later that week. He was then passed to myself and my companion and we began teaching him the lessons little by little. He kept all the commitments we gave him, he read, prayed, and asked God if everything was true and made so many changes in himself. Since he's been investigating, he's never missed a single hour of church. Josh would hitch a lift to church from a member family and would wear a suit underneath a hoodie and jeans (he didn't want his family to know he was investigating). He would walk an hour and a half to meet us in town for lessons. He attended several of our street displays to help invite others to learn about the restored gospel. After attending the baptism of a friend, Josh told us that he wanted to be baptised. On the 22 of September, in front of his parents, grandparents 4 younger sisters, and so many friends, Josh entered the waters of baptism and made his first covenant with the Lord . Just recently, Josh has told us that he wants to serve a mission and bring others the joy that the gospel brought him. In the span of 3 months, Josh went from an atheist to a member of the Restored Church of Jesus Christ and a future missionary! Josh is another testimony to me that the Lord actually does prepare the hearts of his children.

17 Miracles
To attend a baptism in my mission, you have to bring an investigator (much easier said than done my friends). I pretty much accepted the fact I wasn't going to be able to attend Josh's baptism. It's 45 minutes away, nobody would want to give up a Saturday night, and it was too short notice to organise everything. OR SO I THOUGHT.
We experienced 17 miracles this day (probs more but in reference to the movie title we will just stick with 17)

1. When I left Chorley, a recent convert, Jess offered to give us a lift to Josh's baptism. The offer still stood and she was willing if we paid petrol.
2.  Two days before the Baptism, we invited Anna and her mum and they said yes!
3. They didn't cancel!
4. We got the APs approval for us to leave the zone last minute :')
5. We got there safely and on time. NO TRAFFIC.
6. I was Reunited with the lovely Chorley members and missionaries.
7.We had time to look at the beautiful temple grounds with Anna and her mum.
8. I got to see my BFF Sister Dunlavy.
9. The best part... JOSH WAS BAPTISED!
10. Josh's less active dad and non member family and several friends were there to support him.
11.Josh gave such a powerful testimony.
12. Josh brought a spare pair of undies so he didn't have to "get dunked commando" (his words) . He also publicly thanked his nan (grandmother) from the pulpit for reminding him to do so:')
13. The ceremony was amazing. The spirit was so strong. Anna was so touched that she cried.
14. The Chorley sisters had someone familiar sitting next to them at the baptism. It was Al! A man Sister Hawkins and I tracted into weeks ago and his son! He came to church last week and he's taking the lessons!
15. There were custard donuts.
16. Anna agreed to come to church the next day.
17. The greatest miracle of all, perhaps is the Gospel of Jesus Christ and my sacred opportunity to watch it change the lives of people like Josh. I'm so grateful to have watched such a miraculous conversion take place.

Miracles have not ceased! I invite you all this week to look for those miracles!

There's not a soul on earth that could tell me that this isn't the Lords work:') I'm so grateful to be apart of it. Love you all. Have a good week!

Sister Gilland
England Manchester Mission 🇬🇧

Pictures: Josh's baptism, a cute less actives puppy, me and sister Escalon before a massive storm, also a bat the elders found on the way to district council.







No comments:

Post a Comment