Monday, January 21, 2019

Hujamba Everyone!

Well we can add swahili to the list of languages I can say hello in. It's been an amazing week in good ole Whitefield. We saw SO MANY miracles.

We had Zone Conference on Tuesday in Chorley and it was super uplifting. The general themes were "Lord Increase Our Faith" and "Becoming A Consecrated Missionary" We were invited to change two things by the end of the week to help us become better, more faithful, consecrated missionaries and more fixed on our purpose.

Well one miracle came on Friday. We felt like we should go by this Recent Convert, Bill. Unfortunately, Bill didn't answer but on his street, we met someone from... take a guess... CONGO. He was so prepared, he met missionaries before that gave him a book of Mormon and he said he's been reading! So we are seeing him this week. After meeting him, we decided to go by a man named Sergio in the area. When we got to his house, a man named Valdemiro answered and said he was Sergio step son but he let us in!! And we met his cute wife and baby. They're from Cape Verde but speak really good English. It was honestly like they were just waiting for us. We talked about the Book of Mormon and he said he had one and he'd read it. His wife is pregnant and actually due today! So we will go and visit in a week or so.

So we have been teaching Christina's children. Her daughter Amina is on date for February 9th and we were able to put her son Espoir on date on Thursday! We taught him the restoration and he really felt like it could be true. He asks such good questions. Honestly it's the highlight of my week teaching that family. So Espoir feels like he will be ready by March 2nd. We're so excited!

Well that was pretty much my week! One of the things we talked about in zone conference was a parable of the unprofitable servant in Luke 17:7-10
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

This totally went over my head when I first read it. But upon studying it further, I actually learned a lot. Sometimes I feel like the servant. I might well feel that after a day’s work in the field I'm entitled to rest but when I get home at the end of a long day, I see that there's still lots I have to do. As a missionary, the master (Christ) has a right to my time and attention. Just like the apostles, who had given themselves entirely up to their Master’s service could not hesitate whatever the effort or sacrifice required. And at the end of the day, the best they could do would be no more than their duty required.

I invite yall to study this parable and to look for additional ways you can serve others around you! Christ deserves our very best!!

Love you all, have a wonderful week!

Sister Gilland
England Manchester Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment