Monday, November 27, 2017

Roller Coaster Week


Hi friends and fam. My week was a bunch of ups and downs. I received the news that my Granddad passed away peacefully early Saturday morning. My Granddad was an amazing man and I was so lucky to have such a close relationship with him my whole life.  He is one of the biggest reasons I am serving a mission. He himself was converted by missionaries and has one of the strongest testimonies.  I will always be grateful for the role he has played in my life. For the love that he showed me and my family. I know that he is having an amazing reunion in heaven and I take such comfort in the fact that I will see him again.  One of my favorite scriptures is found in Alma 22:14 and has helped me through the past few days.

“And since man had fallen he could not merit anything of himself; but the sufferings and death of Christ atone for their sins, through faith and repentance, and so forth; and that he breaketh the bands of death, that the grave shall have no victory, and that the sting of death should be swallowed up in the hopes of glory;”

I'm so grateful for the atoning sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us. How comforting it is that we will all be able to see each other again. The grave will have no victory and death will have no sting. I just love that.

Investigators!
Our friend, Callam has reached back to us and has agreed to meet with us Wednesday. I think it'll be a good time to get a feel for where he's at and what he wants to get from meeting with us. 
Also our friend Jeff (from Texas) came to church! Such a tender mercy. He stayed for sacrament and agreed to meet with us again Sunday. He received the warmest welcome from our ward. He's been reading the Book of Mormon and wants to further discuss it. I'm so excited for him.

Since my week was a little slow, I just want to share a story about a man named Mckay that I met on a bus.  
We were travelling across our area on a train when there was an accident somewhere ahead of us so they booted us off the train and had us wait for a rail replacement bus in the freezing cold and pouring hail (yes hail). I luckily brought my umbrella and walked over to an old man getting soaked and offered to share my umbrella. He was so nice and talked with me and being the sneaky missionary I am, we got on the topic of religion and he talked all about how his son had  committed suicide and through that, he himself became close to God. What incredible faith! Mckay and I got on the bus and sat together. He talked my ear off about religion but he was so nice and asked about the Book of Mormon in my hand. I shared my testimony and told him that the book has an amazing promise. I shared with him Moroni 10:3-5. Before we went our separate ways, I offered him the book and he gladly accepted it. He lives in the Liverpool zone so I gave him the number of some missionaries in his area. I don’t know what will come of it (if anything). It's totally a long shot. But I just loved sharing my testimony with someone so kind! It's so amazing to be literally set apart and given the authority to share the gospel with anyone. I'm definitely not the best with words so I'm grateful for the handful of times when people listen to me stumble out my amateur testimony on the bus.

Lastly, I wanna to encourage you all to participate in the church’s #LightTheWorld campaign. No season of the year shines as bright as Christmas—and the brightest light is Jesus Christ, the Light of the World. Once again we celebrate His birth by making Christmastime a season of service. Join us this year as we learn His teachings and follow His example to #LightTheWorld. 25 ways in 25 days, we will do various forms of service leading up to this sacred, special time of the year. It starts Friday the 1st so get ready!! For more info, go to lds.org

I love you all so much! I can't believe it's nearly December. I'd love to hear from you all. Have a good week!

Sister Gilland 💕



1-My Comp & I 
2-Birkenhead missionaries aka- The nursery
3-proud of the banana bread I made 



No comments:

Post a Comment